Academician Huang received his BSc in Chemistry from Peking University in 1983, then followed by receiving his MSc and PhD in Physical Chemistry from the same university. Then he did his postdoctoral research in the Department of Chemistry with the National University of Singapore (NUS) where he participated in the foundation of the Institute of Materials Research and Engineering (IMRE) since 1995. In 2001, he joined NUS again as a professor with the Faculty of Engineering, teaching polymer science. In 2001, he became Chair Professor at Fudan University, where he founded and chaired the Institute of Advanced Materials (IAM). In June 2006, he was appointed as the Deputy President of the Nanjing University of Posts and Telecommunications, where he initiated the Institute of Advanced Materials (IAM) and the Key Laboratory for Organic Electronics and Information Displays (KLOEID). In November 2011, he was elected as Academician of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS). In July 2012, he was appointed as the President of the Nanjing Tech University (NanjingTech, 2011 University) and founded the Institute of Advanced Materials (IAM) and the Key Laboratory of Flexible Electronics (KLOFE) with NanjingTech. In 2013, he was elected as Director-General of Jiangsu National Synergetic Innovation Center for Advanced Materials (SICAM). In 2015, he founded the International Research Center of Flexible Electronics (CoFE), and Joint International Laboratory of Flexible Electronics (LoFE). In October 2016, he led the construction of National Innovation Talent Cultivation Base of Flexible Electronics (National 111 project). In April 2017, he was appointed as the Executive Vice President of Northwestern Polytechnical University. In October 2017, he founded the Institute of Flexible Electronics (IFE) in Northwestern Polytechnical University.
His current research interests include organic/plastic/flexible electronics, bioelectronics, nanomaterials, nanoelectronics, and polymer chemistry. Academician Huang is one of the earliest and most renowned scientists in the field of organic optoelectronicsand polymer electronics and the leading scientist in the fields of organic optoelectronics and flexible electronics. Since early 1990s, he has focused on the frontier areas in organic optoelectronics which developed from Physics, Chemistry, Materials, Electronics, and Information Science & Technology based interdisciplines. Academician Huang has established the principal framework for organic optoelectronics, achieved high-performance and multi-functionalization organic semiconductors, boosted the commercialization and industrialization of scientific and technological achievements, enabling him the founder and pioneer of organic optoelectronics in China. In the area of organic optoelectronics and flexible electronics, he has made a large amount of systematic and innovative achievements and has published more than 700 papers as the first author or corresponding author in Nature, Nature Materials, Nature Nanotechnology, Nature Communications, Advanced Materials, etc, with over 50,000 citations and an H-index of 101. According to ISI Journal Citation Report, he is ranked as top 1‰ scientist in the fields of chemistry, materials sciences. He has held over 200 patents which are granted in USA, Singapore, and China. Additionally, Academician Huang has published several books, such as Organic Optoelectronics, Bio-optoelectronics, etc.
Academician Huang also made some cross-border attempts in the fields of philosophy and social sciences. He focuses on higher education, management science, talent science, innovation management, and economic development, etc., and practices in social services. He is the author of “Great Learning - Tentative Explorations for Nanjing Tech University to Create a World-Class University", which was published in People's Daily, WenWei Newspaper, China Education Newspaper, Chinese Journal of Science, Xinhua Daily and other major journals and newspapers.
Vice Chairman (President Candidate) of Federation of Engineering Institutions of Asia and Pacific (FEIAP) , Member of the Standing Committee of the Information Technology Science Department of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, Member of the Disciplinary Review Group of the Academic Degrees Committee of the State Council, Member of the National Outstanding Youth Science Fund Review Committee, Member of Information Science Department of the National Natural Science Foundation of China, Member of the Expert Advisory Committee of the Chemical Science Department of the National Natural Science Foundation of China, Member of the Standing Committee of the China Association for Science and Technology, Member of the Science and Technology Committee of the Ministry of Education, Member of the Chen Jiageng Information Technology Science Awards Committee, Vice Chairman of the Chinese Chemical Society, Vice President of China Management Science Society, Vice President of the China Association for Industry-University-Research Collaboration, Deputy Director of the Polymer Science Committee of the Chinese Chemical Society, Vice President of the China Chemical Industry Society, Executive Director of the China Optical Society, Vice Chairman of the Jiangsu Province Science and Technology Association, Chairman of the Jiangsu Province Chemical and Chemical Society, Vice Chairman of the Jiangsu Province Internet Society, Vice Chairman of the Jiangsu Province Federation of Returned Overseas Chinese, President of the Nanjing Western Returned Scholars Association and Chairman of the Nanjing Federation of Returned Overseas Chinese and so on. He is the editor-in-chief of Journal Research and npj Flexible Electronics and is also the editorial board member (consultant) of international authoritative academic journals such as Advanced Materials, Advanced Electronic Materials. He is also the honorary professor of the National University of Singapore, Nanyang Technological University, University of Wollongong, Peking University, Hong Kong Baptist University and other institutions and universities.
Academician Huang has received numerous awards during his excellent research work, including the Second Class Prize of the National Natural Science Award, the Ho Leung Ho Lee Science and Technology Innovation Award, the First Prize of Natural Science Award of the Ministry of Education Science and Technology Outstanding Achievement Award, National Outstanding Scientific and Technical Workers, Innovation and Promotion Award of China Industry-University-Research, the 4th Chinese Excellent Publication Award, Jiangsu Province Labor Medal, the First Prize of Jiangsu Science and Technology Award, the First Prize of Education Science Research Achievement in Jiangsu Province, the First Prize of the outstanding paper in Jiangsu Philosophy and Society Conference , the first prize of the Outstanding Achievements of Philosophy and Social Sciences in Jiangsu Province, and the “Top Ten Technology Stars” of Nanjing. His research achievements were selected in the "Top 10 Scientific and Technological Progress of Chinese Universities".
Over the 30 years, Academician Huang has cultivated more than 100 graduate, and postdoctoral students, including 5 owners of the National Science Fund for Distinguished Young Scholars, 5 chief scientists of National 973 Program, 4 owners of Outstanding Youth Science Foundation , 2 chief scientists of National 973 Program for young professionals.
(1)Y. Cao#, N. Wang#, H. Tian#, J. Guo#, Y. Wei, H. Chen, Y. Miao, W. Zou, K. Pan, Y. He, H. Cao, Y. Ke, M. Xu; Y. Wang, M. Yang, K. Du, Z. Fu, D. Kong, D. Dai, Y. Jin, G. Li, H. Li, Q. Peng, J.pu Wang*, W. Huang*, Perovskite light-emitting diodes based on spontaneously formed submicrometre-scale structures, Nature, 2018.10.11, 562(7726): 249-253
(2)Q. Chen, J. Wu, X. Ou, B. Huang, J. Almutlaq, A. Zhumekenov, X. Guan, S. Han, L. Liang, Z. Yi, J. Li, X. Xie, Y. Wang, Y. Li, D. Fan, T. Daniel, H. Angelo, F. Mohammed, M. Bakr, T. Wu, M. Bettinelli, H. Yang*, Wei Huang*, X. Liu*, All-inorganic perovskite nanocrystal scintillators, Nature, 2018.09.6, 561(7721): 88-93
(3) Y. Ma#, P. She#, Y. Zhang, H. Yang, Y. Qin, Z. Xu, S. Liu, Q. Zhao*, W. Huang*, Dynamic metal-ligand coordination for multicolour and water-jet rewritable paper, Nature Communications, 2018.01.9, 9(1): 3
(4) N. Wang#, L. Cheng#, R. Ge#, S. Zhang, Y. Miao, W. Zou, C. Yi, Y. Sun, Y. Cao, R. Yang, Y. Wei, Q. Guo, Y. Ke, M. Yu, Y. Jin, Y. Liu, Q. Ding, D. Di, L. Yang, G. Xing, H. Tian, C. Jin, F. Gao, H. Friend, J. Wang*, Wei Huang*, Perovskite light-emitting diodes based on solution-processed self-organized multiple quantum wells, Nature Photonics, 2016.11, 10(11): 699-704
(5) Z. An#, C. Zheng#, Y. Tao, R. Chen*, H. Shi, T. Chen, Z. Wang, H. Li, R. Deng, X. Liu*, W. Huang*, Stabilizing triplet excited states for ultralong organic phosphorescence, Nature Materials, 2015.07, 14(7): 685-690
(6) R. Deng, F. Qin, R. Chen, W. Huang*, M. Hong*, X. Liu*, Temporal full-colour tuning through non-steady-state up conversion, Nature Nanotechnology, 2015.3.15, 10(3): 237-242
(7) W. Zou#, R. Li#, S. Zhang, Y. Liu, N. Wang, Y. Cao, Y. Miao, M. Xu, Q. Guo, D. Di, L. Zhang, C. Yi, F. Gao, H. Friend, J. Wang*, W. Huang*, Minimising efficiency roll-off in high-brightness perovskite light-emitting diodes, Nature Communications, 2018.02.9, 9(1): 608
(8) X. Wang#, Z. Wang#, J. Zhang, W. Xiang, Z. Zhang, J. Wang, Z. Zhu, Z. Li; Y. Liu, X. Hu, J. Qiu, G. Hu, B. Chen, N. Wang, Q. He, J. Chen, J. Yan, W. Zhang, T. Hasan, S. Li, H. Li, H. Zhang, Q. Wang, X. Huang*, W. Huang*, Realization of vertical metal semiconductor heterostructures via solution phase epitaxy, Nature Communications, 2018.09.6, 9(1): 3611
(9) J. Shang, C. Cong, Z. Wang, N. Peimyoo, L. Wu, C. Zou, Y. Chen, X. Chin, J. Wang, C. Soci, W. Huang*, T. Yu*, Room-temperature 2D semiconductor activated vertical-cavity surface-emitting lasers, Nature Communications, 2017.09.14, 8(1): 543 (期刊论文)
(10) G. Xing, B. Wu, X. Wu, M. Li, B. Du, Q. Wei, J. Guo, L. Yeow, C.Sum*, W. Huang*, Transcending the slow bimolecular recombination in lead-halide perovskites for electroluminescence, Nature Communications, 2017.02.27, 8: 14558
(11) S. Han, X. Qin, Z. An, Y. Zhu, L. Liang, Y. Han*, X. Liu*, W. Huang*, Multicolour synthesis in lanthanide-doped nanocrystals through cation exchange in water, Nature Communications, 2016.10.4, 7(1): 13059
(12) J. Jiang#, J. Zhu#, W. Ai, X. Wang, Y. Wang, C. Zou, W. Huang*, T. Yu*, Encapsulation of sulfur with thin-layered nickel-based hydroxides for long-cyclic lithium-sulfur cells, Nature Communications, 2015.10, 6: 8622
(13) P. Shi, R. Chen, L. Hua, L. Li, R. Chen, Y. Gong, C. Yu, J. Zhou, B. Liu*, G. Sun*, W. Huang*, Highly Concentrated, Ultrathin Nickel Hydroxide Nanosheet Ink for Wearable Energy Storage Devices, Advanced Materials, 2017.10.25, 29(40): 1703455
(14) S. Cai, H. Shi, J. Li, L. Gu; Y. Ni, Z. Cheng, S. Wang, W. Xiong, L. Li, Z. An*, W. Huang*, Visible-Light-Excited Ultralong Organic Phosphorescence by Manipulating Intermolecular Interactions, Advanced Materials, 2017.09.20, 29(35): 1701244
(15) M. Qian, R. Zhang, J. Hao, W. Zhang, Q. Zhang, J. Wang, Y. Tao*, S. Chen*, J. Fang, W. Huang*, Dramatic Enhancement of Power Conversion Efficiency in Polymer Solar Cells by Conjugating Very LowRatio of Triplet Iridium Complexes to PTB7, Advanced Materials, 2015.6.17, 27(23): 3546-3552