Institute of Flexible Electronics
2018- Professor, Institute of Flexible Electronics, Northwestern Polytechnical University, Xi’an 710072, P. R. China
2014-2018 Research Fellow Department of Material Science and Engineering, NUS, Singapore Supervisor: Prof. John Wang (Department of Material Science and Engineering, NUS)&Prof. Stephen J. Pennycook (Department of Material Science and Engineering, NUS)
2013-2014 Project Officer Division of Physics and Applied Physics, Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore Supervisor: Assoc. Prof. Hong Jin Fan (School of Physical and Mathematical Sciences, NTU)
2010-2013 Ph.D. Division of Physics and Applied Physics, NTU, Singapore & Energy Research Institute@NTU (ERIAN), Singapore Supervisors: Assoc. Prof. Hong Jin Fan (School of Physical and Mathematical Sciences, NTU) &Prof. Hua Zhang (School of Materials Science and Engineering, NTU) Award: The 2012 Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Self-financed Students Abroad (2012)
2005-2009 B. En. Department of Electronic Science and Technology, School of Physics, Wuhan University, Wuhan 430072, P. R. China
Flexible energy storage devices:
Flexible electrochemical devices (Supercapacitor, aqueous battery, metal-air battery, LIB and Li/S and Li/Se)
Electrochemical catalysts (HER, OER, ORR)
Atomic layer deposition
In situ STEM
Metal Organic Frameworks and their derivatives
Nanoarrays of materials with hollow structure
1. Cao Guan, Xinghui Wang, Qing Zhang, Zhanxi Fan, Hua Zhang, and Hong Jin Fan, Highly Stable and Reversible Lithium Storage in SnO2 Nanowires Surface Coated With A Uniform Hollow Shell by Atomic Layer Deposition, (Nano Letters, 14, 4852, 2014). (ESI highly cited paper)
2. Cao Guan*, Jilei Liu, Yadong Wang, Lu Mao, Zhanxi Fan, Zexiang Shen, Hua Zhang and John Wang*, Iron Oxide-Decorated Carbon for Supercapacitor Anodes with Ultrahigh Energy Density and Outstanding Cycling Stability, (ACS Nano, 9, 5198, 2015). (ESI highly cited paper)
3. Cao Guan*, Wei Zhao, Yating Hu, Qingqing Ke, Xin Li, Hua Zhang, John Wang*, High Performance Flexible Solid-State Ni/Fe Battery Consisting of Metal Oxides Coated Carbon Cloth/Carbon Nanofiber Electrodes, (Advanced Energy Materials, 6, 1601034, 2016).
4. Cao Guan*, Ximeng Liu, Weina Ren, Xin Li, Chuanwei Cheng*, and John Wang*, Rational Design of Metal Organic Framework Derived NiCo2O4 Nanobox Arrays for Flexible Supercapacitor and Electrocatalysis, (Advanced Energy Materials, 7, 1602391, 2017). (ESI hot paper)
5. Cao Guan*, Afriyanti Sumboja, Haijun Wu, Weina Ren, Ximeng Liu, Hong Zhang, Zhaolin Liu*, Chuanwei Cheng*, Steven John Pennycook and John Wang*, Hollow Co3O4 Nanosphere Embedded in Carbon Arrays for Stable and Flexible Solid-State Zinc–Air Batteries, (Advanced Materials, 29, 1704117, 2017). (ESI highly cited paper)
6. Cao Guan*, Wen Xiao, Haijun Wu*, Ximeng Liu, Wenjie Zang, Hong Zhang, Jun Ding, Yuan Ping Feng, Stephen J. Pennycook, John Wang*, Hollow Mo-doped CoP Nanoarrays for Efficient Overall Water Splitting, (Nano Energy, 48, 73, 2018).
7. Jinping Liu*, Cao Guan*, Cheng Zhou, Zhen Fan, Qingqing Ke, Guozhen Zhang, Chang Liu, and John Wang, A Flexible Quasi-Solid-State Nickel–Zinc Battery with High Energy and Power Densities Based on 3D Electrode Design, (Advanced Materials, 28, 8732, 2016). (ESI hot paper)
8. Weina Ren, Haifeng Zhang, Cao Guan*, and Chuanwei Cheng*, Ultrathin MoS2 nanosheets on metal organic framework-derived N-doped carbon nanowall arrays as high-performance sodium ion batteries anode, (Advanced Functional Materials, 27, 1702116, 2017). (ESI hot paper)
9. Xin Li, Haijun Wu, Abdelnaby Mohamed Kotb Elshahawy, Ling Wang, Stephen J. Pennycook*, Cao Guan*, and John Wang*, Cactus-Like NiCoP/NiCo-OH 3D Architecture with Tunable Composition for High-Performance Electrochemical Capacitors, (Advanced Functional Materials, 8, 1800036, 2018).
10. Hong Zhang, Tongtong Wang, Afriyanti Sumboja, Wenjie Zang, Jianping Xie, Daqiang Gao, Stephen J Pennycook, Zhaolin Liu*, Cao Guan*, John Wang*, Integrated Hierarchical Carbon Flake Arrays with Hollow P-Doped CoSe2 Nanoclusters as an Advanced Bifunctional Catalyst for Zn-Air Batteries, (Advanced Functional Materials, 8, 1804846, 2018).
Professor Guan’s group focuses on flexible energy storage devices, including self-assembling of 3D electrode, surface/structure engineering and the application for flexible energy storage devices (Supercap, aqueous battery, LIB, Zn-air and so on). He published over 60 peer-review papers in international journals in Materials Science, including 15 ESI highly cited papers, and has a total citation of 4000+, H-index is 33. As first author and corresponding author, he has published 30+ papers, including Adv. Mater. (3), Energy Environ. Sci. (2), Nano Lett. (1), Adv. Energy. Mater. (2) , ACS nano (1) , Adv. Funct. Mater. (3) , Nano Energy (2) , ACS Energy Lett. (1) , Adv. Sci. (2), ACS catal. (1) , Small (4). He also serves as Advisory Panel for Nanotechnology. He has been served as journal reviewer for 30+ Journals, including Adv. Mater., Adv. Energy Mater. and ACS nano.
Google Scholar link: https://scholar.google.com.sg/citations?user=c743VFkAAAAJ&hl=en
Currently our group has sufficient research funding. Warmly welcome students (BS, MS, PhD) , staffs and faculties with background in material, chemistry, physics, and electric engineering to join!